Monday 28 January 2013

De potestate in sermonis

It is not very likely that I shall most often publish on my private blog opinions expressed by other people, nor is it very likely that I shall offer praise to many people in general. My love for the ability to think freely and for the liberty of the mind offerd to us as people by the Enlightenment comes with the responsibility to protect these virtues and to carry on thinking of my own accord as much as possible.

However, my love for these ideals, my worship of debate and argumentative discourse and last but not least my disdain for the hypocrisy which is exhibited by the Catholic Church are masterfully represented in the following argument against the motion "Is the Catholic Church a force for good in the world?". I bestow upon Stephen Fry a most profound and adulative respect, not only for his ideas and for his steadfast defence of the Enlightenment and of the virtues of free thought, but for his love of the English language which exudes in I daresay the most beautiful pronounciation I have ever heard in my life.

Before I let Mr. Fry have the word, however, I cannot help but mention again Sir Thomas More, known to most of you as Thomas Morus, or properly names The Right Honourable Sir Thomas Morus, famed author of the philosophical treaty "Utopia", Lord Chancellor at the court of Henry the VIIIth, statesman, politician, High Steward of the Univeristies of Oxford and Cambridge, who burned and tortured anyone who dared own a Bible in English. He was canonized by the Catholic Church in 1935 and in the year 2000 became the heavenly patron of statesmen and politicians.

Stephen Fry- Intelligence Squared Debate

No comments:

Post a Comment